In April 2004 a new Landscape History Chapter of the Society of Architectural Historians was launched. The consensus was that such a chapter could help increase the breadth and depth of work in the field as well as help overcome disciplinary and geographic isolation by providing an informal structure for the exchange of ideas, sources, and research concerned with the design and reading of the landscape. The purview of the chapter extends from the cultural landscape to botanical studies (and related materials) and a range of topics in between. Chapter members solicit membership from a wide variety of disciplines concerned with landscape history.
The Leadership Team includes (2021-2022):
- Kate John-Alder, Rutgers University, President
- William Coleman, The Olana Partnership, Vice-President
- Royce Michael Ernest, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Secretary/ Membership
- Elizabeth Athens, University of Connecticut, Newsletter Editor
The Advisory Board was selected to represent a diverse range of interests and areas of expertise and includes:
- Finola O’Kane Crimmins (2019-2022)
- John Dean Davis (2019-2022)
- Georges Farhat (2019-2022)
- Mohammad Gharipour (2021-2024)
- Margot Lystra (2021-2024)
- Stephen Whiteman (2021-2024)
- Jan Woudstra (2021-2024)
To become a member of the Chapter, first sign up to become a member of SAH. Then please consider joining the landscape chapter by clicking here. This will take you to the SAH membership page. Once you have become an SAH member, email the Secretary/ Membership by clicking here to let us know you would like to join our Chapter and we will welcome you into our work.
The Chapter strives to support members who wish to host sessions at the SAH annual meeting devoted to landscape history. Other activities included sharing announcements on books, conferences, and related scholarship. We would love to see robust landscape tours on the program of each annual meeting.
Please consider joining us and participating in the Landscape History Chapter activities.